Diesen Beitrag in Deutsch lesen
INTEREST GROUPS for a fair balance in copyright law
- Creators (rights owners) authors/musicians, photographers (i.e. almost all of us), journalists, etc.
EXPLOITERS OF RIGHTS
- Exploiters of rights (commercial): publishing houses, music and film industry
- Exploiters of rights (members principle): the (rights) collection management organisations: they negotiate joint contracts with representatives from the media, museums & archives and other promoters (including platforms) on behalf of creative individuals; examples in Germany include GEMA, VG Wort, VG Bild-Kunst and VFF
- Partly licensees: digital platforms, social networks, streaming services and file-sharing networks, forums that make user-generated content available to a broad public (no cloud services)
- (Partly licensees and licensors): the public, consumers, individual or collective users, partly self-creative individuals (e.g.: tutorials, live coverage, news channels, political campaigns, lifestyle influencers)
- Institutional users (partly licensees or those excluded by copyright restrictions): Wikipedia, research and educational institutions, institutions for people with disabilities & so-called ‘memory institutions’, so-called ‘GLAM institutions’ (galleries, libraries, archives, museums), which are often suppressed in the debate.